The purpose of this qualification is to provide New Zealand with graduates who have attained a range of specialist professional and technical Information Systems (IS) skills. It will prepare people for employment in an intermediate level IS role in a range of organisational contexts, or for further study,
The qualification provides an opportunity for people wanting to broaden their skills and knowledge in IS, which may include people already working in the IT sector, as well a: others wishing to enter it. Graduates will be capable of operating both independently and as part of a team.
This qualification is stranded in order to recognise the specific technical and theoretical skills and knowledge required to specialise in one of the following areas of IS practice.
Intakes: January, March, June, August, October
Business Analysis strand focuses on business analysis and managing software development processes.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply in-depth skills in investigation, analysis, and review of business logic and processes to support information systems design.Analyse, select and implement business intelligence tools and methods to provide the strategic advantage to an organisation.
- Apply software engineering tools and approaches to the design, development, operation and maintenance Of software systems.
- Apply in-depth skills in human-computer interaction and user interface design to improve the usability, effectiveness and acceptance of organisational information systems.
- Apply Skills in database modelling and advanced reporting to create systems that meet organisational requirements.
- Behave with integrity as a responsible Information Technology professional, to contribute positively to society.
- Apply communication, information design, personal and interpersonal Skills, clearly and professionally to enhance working effectiveness, efficiency, and quality outcomes in an organisational environment.
- Apply project management tools and techniques to an IT related project, to analyse and solve problems.
- Integrate and apply business analysis skills to develop specifications for information systems to meet organisation requirements.
- Manage software development processes to deliver quality systems on time and within budget.
Possible Study Opportunities
A graduate of this programme will be able to undertake a study at Level 7 in the related field.
Possible Career Opportunities
- Business Analyst
- Information Technology Architect
- Market Research Analyst
- Test Analyst
- Technical Writer
More employment pathways’ information is available from www.careers.govt.nz.
While studying in the programme, students can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.
If the student has completed Level 5 and Level 6, then upon graduation from level 6, students will be eligible for a 12 month Post Study Work Visa.
To be admitted to the programme, you need to meet the following requirement:
- There are no mandatory prerequisites for this qualification.
- Learners enrolling are recommended to hold the New Zealand Diploma in Information Systems (Level 5), or equivalent knowledge, skills and experience.
International students whose English is not their first language must provide evidence of competency in English language equivalent to:
- An overall score of IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5; or
- An overall score of Pearson Test (Academic) 50; or
- Have successfully completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 4).