CategoriesInformation Technology Department
This Qualification provides graduates with a broad understanding of the concepts and practical skills in Information Technology areas, with a technical support focus. To enhance graduates for employment in roles such as computer technician, service desk or technical support, or to prepare them for further study.
Graduates will have an awareness of the IT environment, appreciate the needs of users, and be able to provide IT technical support. They will also be able to operate within the applicable professional standards and practice, as part of a team, or independently with a broad level of supervision.
Intakes: January, March, June, August, October
Graduates will be capable of applying current ICT Professional skills, knowledge and practice that will be internationally recognised. They will be able to operate with appropriate professional standards and practice, both independently and as part of a team.
On completion of the level 5 qualification, the graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate the capability to provide technical advice and recommendations to solve common ICT problems;
- Develop technical instructions andguidelines to enhance enduser’s knowledge position to effectively implement ICT technology for business needs;
- Install and configure hardware and software systems and networks to meet with stakeholders requirements;
- Administer information databases, files servers, data storage and retrieval data to meet with client requirement;
- Solve a range of IT security issues andprovide solutions for effective data security management;
- Provide recommendations to improve organisational processes and systems for effective information management;
- Create simple working applications to enhance user experiences;
- Analyse stakeholders’ technical needs. Have the abilityto provide recommendations that match stakeholders’ needs;
- Comply with professional, legal and ethical principles and practices in a socially responsible manner in IT roles;
- Work effectively with team members to apply technical skills and knowledge to enhance business operations productively.
Possible Study Opportunities
A graduate of this programme will be able to undertake a study at Level 6 or Level 7 in the related field.
Possible Career Opportunities
Graduates of this diploma will have the skills and knowledge to work in roles such as:
- Computer technician
- Help desk and technical support officer
- Entry level network administrator
- Network Engineer
- Applications support analyst roles
More employment pathways’ information is available from www.careers.govt.nz.
The latest occupation outlook information released by New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment. It is a great tool for exploring study and career options, with extensive information on labour supply and demand in over 100 occupations in New Zealand. The app outlines how to enter each role, how many are studying in related fields, how many are employed, and what the average incomes are. It also outlines what are the prospects of getting a job in that occupation once you have completed the qualifications required.
Please use the individual learning intention to determine what you want to be, to match with the qualification of enrolment to determine what you need to learn, further match with the occupation information in New Zealand supports your understand what employment opportunity may available to you after qualification completion.
More detailed information is available from occupationoutlook.mbie.govt.nz.
While studying in the programme, students can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.
To be admitted to the programme, you need to meet the following requirement:
- Completed 3 years of secondary school certificate or equivalent
International students whose English is not their first language must provide evidence of competency in English language equivalent to:
- An overall score of IELTS (Academic) 5.5 with no band score less than 5.0; or
- An overall score of Pearson Test (Academic) 42; or
- Have successfully completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Level 4).
Don’t have second thoughts. Go for it!
Regent has been a wonderful institute. The courses that I have studied throughout the months have really helped me gain more knowledge in my field of studies. This Institute makes sure that complex topics can be easily understood and the people around me have been friendly and approachable. Overall if you want to study in Regent, Don’t have second thoughts, Go for it!