Code of Practice concerns

If you think your school or institution has not kept its promises under the Code of Practice, try talking to an international student support person to resolve the issue. If the issue is not resolved, you will need to make a formal complaint to the education provider, using the procedures your education provider has in place.

If you are unhappy with the answers you receive after you have complained formally to your education provider, there is an independent appeal authority that will investigate your complaint for you. This organisation is known as The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA)You should contact the NZQA only after you have tried to work with your education provider to resolve the complaint.

You can approach NZQA using the following:

Free Phone: 0800 72 4356
PO Box 160

Academic quality concerns

If you have a worry or wish to complain about the quality of the education you are receiving you should first talk to your education provider. There will be rules or procedures to follow when making a complaint about education quality.

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) is a government agency that monitors the quality of education provided by private training establishments (PTEs), including language schools. The NZQA registers private training establishments if they can prove they are able to provide high-quality education and training in a sound and stable learning environment. Once they are registered, the NZQA can approve courses if they meet standards. Each course must be based on clear and consistent aims, content, outcomes and assessment practices. If you have a concern or complaint about your private training establishment or language school you should first raise the problem with the private training establishment’s or language school’s management staff. If the matter is not resolved, you can then approach the NZQA. The NZQA will investigate your concern or complaint, and inform you of the outcome.

If you decide to go to the NZQA with your concern or complaint, it should be in writing saying exactly what the problem is and what has been done to try and fix it. It is helpful if any copies of relevant documents can be provided. You need to have tried all other steps before the NZQA will investigate (e.g. discussing your concerns or problems with the private training establishment or language school management staff). You can, however, call the NZQA to discuss the matter before submitting your written complaint.

For advice about complaints, phone the NZQA’s helpline free on 0800 72 4357, or write to New Zealand Qualifications Authority, PO Box 160, Wellington, or email via the website:

Worries about getting your money back

If you withdraw from a course, and believe that the education provider did not follow its rules, you should first discuss the problem with the education provider. If you have problems getting your money back, you may complain to the iStudent Complaints
Free Phone: 0800 00 66 75
PO Box 2272, Wellington 6140. L4 142 Lambton Quay, Wellington 6011